2009.8.28  Fri
Hong Kong-China score 12 past Guam to come from behind and win: EAFC 2010 Semi-finals Competition Final Day

The final day of the East Asian Football Federation 2010 Semi-finals Competition was held on the 27th and the first match saw 2nd placed Hong Kong-China play Guam. FW CHAN Siu Ki scored 4 goals as Hong Kong-Chin won 12-0. In the second match, leaders after two rounds, DPR Korea, beat Chinese Taipei 2-1. That put them level with Hong Kong-China on 7 points but Hong Kong-China had a superior goal difference so they have come from behind to win the competition. Hong Kong-China therefore qualify for the East Asian Football Federation 2010 Finals Competition (Japan) to be held in February 2010. The last time they did so was back in 2003.

At the time of synchronized kick off Hong Kong-China were level with DPR Korea on 4 points. But with a 3 goal inferior goal difference. A win wouldn’t be enough to ensure victory that needed to score a lot to put pressure on DPR Korea playing in the second match.
Hong Kong-China signaled their intentions against Guam, who had displayed their attacking strengths by scoring at least 2 goals in each of their first two matches, by switching from one up front to two. They applied pressure from the front and attacked the Guam goal from the start. It took just 5 minutes for that pressure to tell when Hong Kong-China ‘s CHAN Siu Ki shot rebounded to MF MAN Pei Tak who slotted home with his left foot to open the scoring. In the 12th minute MF LI Haiqiang had a shot from a FK saved well by Guam GK Joseph Patorick Aurelio LAANAN but in the 15th minute DF WONG Chin Hung who likes crosses, controlled a cross and went on to score into the right side of the goal and make it 2-0. In the 18th minute CHAN Siu Ki cut in from the right side and shot left footed to score their third.
However, it was after this that Guam GK Joseph Patorick Aurelio LAANAN, who displayed some excellent saves in their Guam match, really stepped up. In the 21st minute WONG Chin Hung had a good shooting chance but he stopped it with his foot. Then in the 32nd minute MF KWOK Kin Pong hit a shot from close range and he made a big save again. Despite that Hong Kong-China scored 6 goals in the first half alone thanks to a 37th minute right sided FK by CHAN Siu Ki, a 37th minute goal for FW CHAO Pengfei and a 42nd minute strike by MF LEUNG Chun Pong.

Up against this in the second half Guam focused on possession as the center of their attacks. In the 46th minute MF Joshua Andrew BORJA attacked down the right and in the 51st minute FW Jason Ryan CUNLIFFE crossed into the centre from a left sided run. This cross made it as far as Joshua Andrew BORJA who shot left footed. In the 56th minute from a right sided throw in Dominic Tacadina GADIA spun well and hit a right footed shot. Guam had beginning attacking after having settled their defense. However in the 67th minute Joshua Andrew BORJA received his second warning and was sent off which reopened the floodgates. A 26th minute left sided CK was headed in by CHAO Pengfei and CHAN Siu Ki scored back to back goals in the 75th and 77th minutes to make it 9-0.
At the end of the match Hong-Kong China scored another valuable three goals to cap a 12-0 win. That meant DPR Korea would need to win by 9 goals in their final match but they could only manage two and Hong Kong-China were crowned champions with an 8 goal superior goal difference. Hong Kong-China head coach KIM Pan Gon summed up his team’s feeling by saying “It’s great that we’re to be included in the (East Asian) top 4 teams. The opposition at the tournament in February next year are the three best teams in Asia. We want to do our best and hopefully we can win. It will be a big challenge for us.”

Hong Kong-China(Red) 12-0 Guam(Blue)

Champion:Hong Kong-China

CHAN Siu Ki(Left)



CHAO Pengfei(No,26)



※Click on the picture for a bigger image.

Back to main competition page